As leader of the firm’s Compliance Services Practice, Kim works closely with privately held and publicly traded business clients to help develop, implement and maintain their corporate compliance and ethics programs.
She regularly evaluates existing programs and counsels clients on ways to effectively handle compliance related issues. In addition to general compliance counseling, Kim provides specific insight into healthcare compliance, import/export compliance, records management, government contracting and conflicts of interest, among other compliance and ethics areas.
Kim focuses her litigation practice on complex business disputes, class action litigation, and compliance services. She has extensive experience representing companies in contract, business tort and securities matters. She appears regularly in state and federal court and has first chair trial and appellate experience.
Kim is a Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP) and has received her certification in healthcare compliance (CHC) from the HCA. She is a member of the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics and the Health Care Compliance Association.
Kim is an Adjunct Professor at Cleveland State University College of Law, where she teaches Corporate Compliance and Corporate Governance, among other courses.
Kim joined Calfee in 1999, after managing litigation for Nestle USA in Solon, Ohio. She became a partner with Calfee in 2005, and she served for many years on the firm's Hiring Committee. Kim currently serves as Chair of Calfee's Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation (2024)
- YWCA of Greater Cleveland, Woman of Professional Excellence Award (2007)
J.D., magna cum laude, Cleveland State University College of Law, Law Review Editor-in-Chief, 1985
Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP)
Certification in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) from Health Care Compliance Association
B.A., Trinity College
Kim Moses's representative litigation experience includes the following:
- Successfully represented the former chief executive officer of a publicly traded company in a shareholder class action alleging securities fraud and a related derivative lawsuit arising out of a restatement of the company’s financial statements.
- Successfully represented a banking institution in multiple lawsuits in which custodial account holders, who had been defrauded by their investment adviser, asserted claims for fraud, negligence and breach of contract.
- Successfully represented a services company in a class action lawsuit brought in state court on behalf of a nationwide consumer class seeking recovery for purportedly hidden service charges.
- Successfully represented a manufacturing company in a federal class action lawsuit in which a state-based consumer class asserted that they purchased product that had been systematically mislabeled.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar jury verdict, plus attorneys’ fees, on behalf of a publicly traded company arising out of a failed business acquisition.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar judgment plus attorneys’ fees, on behalf of a publicly traded manufacturing company following a trial for breach of contract.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar recovery on behalf of a publicly traded company from an international consulting firm, which had been engaged to advise the firm’s client on selecting a new order management and financial accounting computer system and then to act as project manager in implementing that system. The project was a total failure; it was discovered that the consultant did not have the experience that it had represented, and the system that it had recommended had never before been successfully implemented. Claims were asserted against the consultant for consultant malpractice, breach of contract and negligence.
- Successfully represented a former chief executive officer of a publicly traded company that sought to withhold his severance pay and incentive compensation based on Section 304 of Sarbanes-Oxley, after he had certified certain financials that ultimately had to be restated.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a broker-dealer and its registered representative in claims for breach of contract and fraud brought by an investor who lost millions of dollars following a significant downturn in the stock market.
- Successfully enforced and defended covenants not to compete on behalf of many firm clients.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Adjunct Professor, Cleveland State University College of Law
- Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, Member
- Health Care Compliance Association, Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, ABA's Litigation Section, and ABA's Class Action and Derivative Committee, Member
- United Way of Lake County, Board of Directors
- Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio, Former Trustee
- Domestic Violence Center, Former Trustee
News & Events
- 93 Calfee Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Award Recipients; 6 Named “Lawyers of the Year”The Best Lawyers in America, 2024 edition,
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court