Throughout his career, Jeffrey has led successful engagements on behalf of debtors such as the Bayou Funds LLC and PTC Steel Alliance, Inc., as well as official creditors’ committees, including those formed in the bankruptcies of Dow Corning Corporation, Corinthian Colleges, Inc., Digital Domain Media Group, Inc., Coda Automotive, Inc. and Constar International, LLC.
In the structured finance space, Jeffrey has represented MBIA, Inc. in the Chapter 11 reorganization case of FGIC Corporation as well as various private equity and hedge funds in other major Chapter 11 cases. He also served as lead counsel to Jay Alix as Examiner of a $450 million fraud in In re Phar Mor, Inc.
Most recently, Jeffrey served as lead bankruptcy counsel for the Chapter 7 trustee for ITT Education, Inc. in the prosecution of D&O claims, fraudulent transfer claims and professional liability claims relating to in excess of $1 billion in catastrophic damages and for the Official General Unsecured Creditors Committee of Corinthian Colleges, Inc., the largest for-profit, post-secondary education provider to file for Chapter 11 reorganization.
Jeffrey has served as a board member for Lexford Residential Properties Trust (NYSE: LFT), Insignia Financial Group (NYSE: IFS) and International Total Services (NASDAQ: ITSW).
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, New York (2006-2018, 2020-2021)
- New York Super Lawyers (2004-2006, 2008-2017)
- The American Lawyer Legal Leaders, New York Area Top AV Rated Lawyer (2015)
- Woodward/White, Top New York Attorneys (2013)
J.D., Cleveland Marshall College of Law, 1979
B.A., Cleveland State University, 1976
- "Filing a Proof of Claim: Pitfalls and Precautions," Thomson Reuters (December 1, 2016)
- "Sponsor Directed Secured Claim § 363(k) Cram Down Credit Bidding: The New Thermonuclear Bankruptcy M&A Strategic Weapon," Bloomberg Law Reports - Bankruptcy Law, Vol. 5, No. 3 (January 2011)
- "Retention and Transfer of Avoidance Claims: Practice Tips and Pitfalls," Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law (2009)
- "Protection of Net Operating Losses through Trading Injunctions and Forbearance Agreements," Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice (December 2008)
- "Purchasing distressed companies: How to use the US bankruptcy system to your advantage," The Americas Restructuring and Insolvency Guide (2008/2009)
- "Forbearance Agreements," New York Law Journal (September 8, 2008)
- "Protection of Net Operating Losses through Trading Injunctions and Forbearance Agreements," Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice (September 2008)
- "Delaware Bankruptcy Court Decision Illustrates that a Sound Decision-Making Process is Critical to Protect Directors," Delaware Court Reporter (July 14, 2008)
- "Directors’ Fiduciary Duties to Creditors in Insolvency: Equity is the Board’s Favorite Child," Bloomberg Corporate Law Journal (2006)
*Co-authors' names are not included in this listing.