Gus focuses primarily on corporate restructuring, commercial and creditors’ rights, workouts, distressed sales and acquisitions and other insolvency-related matters. He has experience representing borrowers, debtors, directors, creditors, buyers of assets and businesses, secured lenders, ad hoc bondholder committees, official creditors’ committees, Chapter 7 trustees, lessors, lessees and other parties in commercial, distressed or insolvency-related transactions and litigation both inside and outside of bankruptcy.
Gus regularly represents lenders in DIP financing, workouts, loan sales, debt to equity conversion strategies, and collateral dispositions through U.C.C. Article 9 (secured party sales/friendly foreclosure), bankruptcy and receivership.
Gus also has extensive experience representing borrowers and lenders in commercial finance matters and also counseling clients with Uniform Commercial Code issues and controversies.
A substantial portion of Gus’ practice is devoted to representing buyers interested in acquiring assets out of bankruptcy, receivership and other distressed situations, including secured party sales.
Gus has been listed as an “Up and Coming” attorney in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. He has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2016-2021) in the areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law as well as Litigation - Bankruptcy. Gus also has been selected to the 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers list.
Gus is a board member and officer of the Ohio Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and a member of the Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute and ACG Cleveland.
He serves on the Parish Council at Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral. He is a trustee of the Cleveland AHEPA Scholarship Fund. Gus also serves on the boards of the Shaker Youth Hockey Association (President 2019-2020) and the Shaker Heights Country Club.
Before joining Calfee in 2008, Gus was an associate at Jones Day. He became a Calfee partner in 2011.
Honors & Recognitions
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, “Up and Coming” attorney
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy (2016-2021)
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2017-2020)
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School, Articles Editor, Notre Dame Law Review, 1999
B.A., Yale University, 1996
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association, Board Member
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) Cleveland, Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Parish Council
- Cleveland AHEPA Scholarship Fund, Trustee
- Shaker Youth Hockey Association, Officer and Board Member
- Shaker Heights Country Club, Board Member
Gus has represented numerous respective debtors including the following:
- Burlington Industries
- The Chardon Rubber Company
- Concord Steel
- Dana Corporation
- Levitz Home Furnishings
- National Century Enterprises
- NexPak Corporation
- Oglebay Norton Company
- PLVTZ Inc.
- USG Corporation
News & Events
- Seventy-five Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Three Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Lessons Learned in Time-Tested Business Restructuring Case and Its Relevance for Today's Businesses Disrupted by COVID-19The NCS HealthCare Inc. Restructuring: Basic Lessons in How to Stave Off a Bankruptcy Liquidation of a Deeply Insolvent Publicly Held Business and in the Process Foster a $385 Million Accretion of NCS Enterprise Value in Favor of Its Stakeholders
- Twenty-Eight Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars11.27.2019
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 201908.15.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars12.06.2017
- Thirty-Seven Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 201811.13.2017
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan