David works with employers on compliance issues related to laws such as the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, Equal Employment Opportunity laws, federal wage and hour laws, and other federal and state laws affecting employment. David counsels clients regarding employment policies, workplace misconduct, and employee discipline and discharge.
David also represents employers in federal and state court, as well as before federal and state administrative agencies, in employment discrimination and wrongful discharge litigation. David has successfully both brought and defended lawsuits regarding enforcement of non-competition, non-solicitation and non-disclosure agreements.
David is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, the New Partners Board of the Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center, and he is also actively involved in performing pro bono legal work on behalf of the Cleveland Legal Aid Society.
David joined Calfee in 2007 and became a partner in 2014.
Honors & Recognitions
Benchmark Litigation, Labor & Employment Star – Midwest, 2019
Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars List, Employment & Labor Law, 2018
J.D., Emory University School of Law, 2004
B.A., Georgetown University, 2000
Recent examples of David’s experience include the following:
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a manufacturing client in a national origin discrimination lawsuit where the plaintiff alleged that she had been subject to different terms and conditions of employment and then termination because of her nationality.
- Successfully represented a national client by commencing litigation against a former employee seeking to enforce the terms of a non-competition and non-solicitation agreement.
- Settled at less than 1% of the claimant’s alleged damages a claim alleging sexual harassment by a supervisor as well as sex and disability discrimination.
- Obtained dismissal of a lawsuit against a client which claimed damages related to an alleged workplace injury.
- In two cases brought against a municipality alleging civil rights violations, succeeded in obtaining summary judgment in one case and settling the other case for a total of $0 to the plaintiff.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, member
Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center, New Partners Board
Cleveland Legal Aid Society, actively involved in performing pro bono legal work
News & Events
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars12.06.2017
- The Sixth Circuit Supports NLRB’s Position That Class Action Waivers Are Illegal - Battle Now Headed to the U.S. Supreme Court06.14.2017
- Changing the Way Employers Screen Applicants for Criminal History: EEOC Guidance and Ban the Box Laws05.31.2017
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth District