- Transparency. When putting this policy together keep in mind that a clear policy helps build trust. Identify clearly its scope (e.g., “the website at www.XYZ”). Do not make statements you may not adhere to (like “we will not share your data,” if there may be instances where you want or have to share the data, such as mergers and acquisitions or as required by law). If your site gathers data via cookies, say so. Provide specific examples of what may or may not be done with the data collected. Similarly, notify customers of updates. Customers realize that you may need to update the policy from time to time. Proactively reach out with an email or letter to let them know of any material changes.
- Don’t Copy and Paste! While it may be tempting to use a policy already posted by another company, if the policy you post is not in line with your practices, it may be considered unfair and deceptive trade practice, actionable by the FTC and potentially subject to class action litigation. It is prudent to delegate the task of drafting a policy to professionals. Those with experience drafting these policies can better ensure you get one that meets your needs while protecting your business’ interests.
Businesses looking for comprehensive legal counsel and oversight of online privacy and data security issues can trust Calfee, with locations in Ohio, Washington D.C., Indianapolis and New York as well as globally through the Lex Mundi legal network.
Calfee Connections blogs, vlogs, and other educational content are intended to inform and educate readers about legal developments and are not intended as legal advice for any specific individual or specific situation. Please consult with your attorney regarding any legal questions you may have. With regard to all content including case studies or descriptions, past outcomes do not predict future results. The opinions expressed may not necessarily reflect the viewpoints of all attorneys and professionals of Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP or its subsidiary, Calfee Strategic Solutions, LLC.
Non-legal business services are provided by Calfee Strategic Solutions, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Calfee, Halter & Griswold. Calfee Strategic Solutions is not a law firm and does not provide legal services to clients. Although many of the professionals in Calfee’s Government Relations and Legislation group and Investment Management group are attorneys, the non-licensed professionals in this group are not authorized to engage in the practice of law. Accordingly, our non-licensed professionals’ advice should not be regarded as legal advice, and their services should not be considered the practice of law.
Updates related to all government assistance/incentive programs are provided with the most current information made available to Calfee at the time of publication. Clarifications and further guidance may be disseminated by government authorities on an ongoing basis. All information should be reaffirmed prior to the submission of any application and/or program participation.
- Planning Before the Fall: Estate Planning Strategies to Consider Before December 31, 2025 (Or Sooner?)
- Keeping Things Confidential: How to Protect Sensitive Information in an M&A Deal – The Middle Market Deal Corner
- Proposed Regulations Provide Guidelines for CHIPS ITC
- Calfee NOW: Ohio State Representative Sean Brennan
- Tax Credits Under the CHIPS and Science Act: Proposed Rules Rollout
- The Time Is Now: U.S. Dept. of Commerce Accepting Applications for CHIPS Act Incentives
- A Primer on Purchase Price Adjustments – The Middle Market Deal Corner
- Calfee NOW: Congressman Mike Carey
- The Race to Secure CHIPS and Science Act Incentives: Are You Ready?
- A Variety Pack – Understanding The Creating Helpful Incentives to Produce Semiconductors and Science Act of 2022
- November 2023
- October 2023
- July 2023
- June 2023
- April 2023
- March 2023
- February 2023
- January 2023
- November 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- November 2021
- October 2021
- July 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020