Sheryl has extensive experience in negotiating, structuring and advising a variety of financial, private equity and corporate clients on single and multi-bank domestic and international financings, multi-currency facilities, asset-based and other secured and unsecured credit facilities, asset-backed structured finance securitizations, note sales, bond issuances, construction financings, mezzanine transactions, loan syndications, interest rate swaps and other derivatives, insolvency, workouts and asset sales and acquisitions.
She provides financial services and corporate clients with analysis of federal regulatory matters, including advising on requirements applicable to derivatives transactions under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and Commodity Exchange Act.
She has represented both lenders and borrowers in private placement of bond financings and notes, in providing letter of credit and other credit enhancement for public finance issuances and has provided counsel to clients in connection with restructuring public finance transactions.
In addition, Sheryl represents clients in connection with domestic and foreign contracting for the sale and purchase of goods and services.
Sheryl is a member of the Ohio and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations and is a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers.
She is also a member of the Board of Directors of AXYS – a national nonprofit organization providing advocacy, education and support for individuals with X and Y chromosome variations – and chairs the Research Oversight Committee.
She began her tenure with Calfee in 1996.
J.D., University of Akron School of Law, 1980
B.A., The University of Akron, 1977
- Representing senior secured lender, as administrative and collateral agent, in the restructuring of syndicated $155 million tax-exempt conduit bonds in connection with the construction of a continuing care retirement community facility, including pre-packaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and subsequent buyout.
- Representing senior secured lender in connection with on-going workout of multiple financing facilities and related derivatives with the third largest (global) balloon manufacturer.
- Representing senior secured lender, as administrative and collateral agent, in connection with providing letter of credit financing backing issuance of syndicated $185 million, multi-municipal entity telecommunication tax-exempt bonds and related derivatives transactions. Representation included the subsequent restructuring of the troubled credit.
- Representing senior secured lender in connection with restructuring of several multi-million dollar higher educational institution private taxable and tax-exempt bond placements and letter of credit backed tax-exempt bond transactions and related derivatives transactions.
- Representing senior secured lender in connection with the syndicated multi-tranche asset based, revolving credit, letter of credit and financing exchange derivatives workout transaction.
- Representing senior secured lender in private placement, and subsequent workout of $51.5 million tax-exempt conduit county hospital system bonds.
- Representing, together with Calfee team, in a first of its kind Ohio transaction, three subsidiaries of FirstEnergy Corporation and three related special purpose entities in connection with the sale of $442,922,000 phase-in-recovery bonds.
- Representing Akron General Hospital System in issuing $90,925,000 refunding tax-exempt bonds and direct placement with two financial institutions.
- Representing U.S. pension fund of global corporate entity in connection with the negotiation of multiple ISDA Master Agreements and credit support documentation meeting CFTC, prudential regulators and EU regulatory margin requirements.
- Representing private equity company in connection with fund financing and multiple acquisition and working capital senior secured, asset based, mezzanine, private note and Export-Import Bank financings in manufacturing and service industries.
- Representing KeyBank National Association in connection with $100 million New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority bond anticipation note facility.
- Representing global, publicly held U.S. client with respect to negotiating derivatives transactions and ongoing U.S., prudential regulators and EU derivatives regulatory compliance matters.
- Representing privately held entities in the aerospace industry in negotiation of acquisition and working capital financings.
- Representing Cuyahoga County, Ohio in the structuring and negotiation of economic development loans.
- Representing 501(c)(3) institute providing home, residential and community-based services for older adults in connection with working capital financing and letter of credit backed tax-exempt bonds.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Member
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA), Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- AXYS (national nonprofit supporting individuals with X and Y chromosome variations), Board Member and Chair of the Research Oversight Committee