Scott helps clients develop and implement legal strategies for utility matters involving, among others, electric, natural gas, water/wastewater, municipal, etc.
Prior to joining Calfee in 2022, Scott gained significant experience as a Deputy Consumer Counselor for the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor. There, he developed legal strategies for utility cases and advocated for and represented the interests of ratepayers in proceedings before the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission. He had responsibility for all aspects of utilities cases, including cost of service, rate design, return on equity, revenue requirements, financing and environmental issues. Scott handled cases involving a variety of topics and utilities, including electric, natural gas, water/wastewater, municipal, thirty-day filings, investigations, and other matters before the Commission. Scott advised the agency on new and complex issues involving statutory changes.
In addition, Scott drafted briefs, motions, proposed orders, and other required documents, and he conducted cross examinations and depositions of witnesses. He managed the discovery process and prepared and presented witnesses and exhibits in utility proceedings. He was responsible for appellate proceedings.
Scott became well-versed in advising agency leadership on the impacts of cases, laws, and legislation to aid in the development and execution of agency policy and legal strategy. He also negotiated on behalf of the agency with utilities and other intervening parties.
Previously, Scott worked at the Indiana State Budget Agency, serving as Senior Budget Analyst. There, Scott conducted analysis on proposed rules, regulations, and legislation to determine impact on agencies. In addition, he advised several government agencies in creating budgets, reviewing contracts and leases, and establishing new procedures for both financial and administrative functions.
He served as a Law Clerk with Cohen & Malad in Indianapolis during law school.
Scott earned his J.D., from Indiana University School of Law in 2007 and his B.A. in Computer Science, with a minor in Religious Studies, from DePauw University in 2002.
J.D., Indiana University School of Law, 2007
B.A., Computer Science, Minor in Religious Studies, DePauw University, 2002
- Lead attorney on Indiana's first future test year rate case. Litigation led to a successfully negotiated settlement resolving all issues.
- Attorney on sub-chapter S sewer utility rate case involving inclusion of taxes in rates. Brought an appeal and subsequent transfer to Indiana Supreme Court.
- Lead attorney on a for-profit electric utility rate case and conducted negotiations leading to a settlement on all issues including cost of service and rate design.
- Lead attorney on water utility distribution system improvement charge tracker involving litigation to remove accelerated AMR meter replacement costs. Defended order at Court of Appeals.
- Lead attorney on a for-profit electric utility rate case involving litigation on multiple issues including depreciation. Litigation led to the switching of depreciation methods.
- Conducted negotiations involving a for-profit gas utility leading to a settlement on all issues including switching the depreciation method used.
- Lead attorney on variety of municipal utility rate cases involving revenue requirements, cost of equity and cost of service.
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana