Riya has significant experience assisting in general business litigation matters representing closely held and publicly traded business clients on a wide variety of complex commercial and business matters involving commercial contract disputes, real property disputes, business torts, trademark and patent litigation, foreign and domestic FCPA matters, securities investigations and actions, and probate litigation.
Riya was previously a Summer Associate with Calfee, where she prepared memorandum on a variety of litigation matters including securities regulations, insurance and intellectual property. She prepared deposition summaries, attended arbitration and assisted in writing post-motion briefs.
She worked as an English Language Assistant with the French Ministry of National Education in Vierzon, France, where she was responsible for instructing intermediate level English classes for French secondary and high school students and providing concentrated instruction in pronunciation, culture and verbal expression.
Riya received her J.D. cum laude from Case Western Reserve University, where she was senior editor for the Journal of International Law, Law School Ambassador, secretary of the Student Bar Association, secretary of the South Asian Law Students Association and associate editor of the War Crimes Prosecution Watch newsletter.
Riya joined Calfee as an Associate in 2019.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America© "Ones to Watch," Commercial Litigation (2022)
J.D., cum laude, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2019
B.A., Rockhurst University, 2015
General Business Litigation:
- Defended and obtained summary judgment for nationwide retailer against a seven-figure claim for breach of a commercial lease terminated by the retailer.
- Successfully resolved disputes involving several commercial leases impacted by COVID-19 closures.
- Obtained default judgment in favor of closely held corporation for all claims against another closely held corporation for fraud, theft and breach of commercial contract.
- Obtained favorite settlement of all claims in connection with breach of contract through mediation.
- Obtained favorable settlement of all claims brought against beneficiary of a Trust through mediation.
- Conducted internal investigation of ethics and legal compliance issues for privately held company.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Asian American Bar Association of Ohio, Vice President of Membership
News & Events
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Spangenberg Shibley & Liber LLP, Law Clerk
- International Bar Association in London, Legal Intern
- Ohio Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- French (Professional Working Proficiency)
- Malayalam (Native Proficiency)
- Tamil (Limited Working Proficiency)