Mark’s clients include a wide range of publicly and privately held corporations that need IP assistance primarily in the areas of electrical, mechanical and software technologies.
Mark assists clients in pursuing, enforcing, and defending intellectual property rights. He has worked extensively on patentability, infringement, freedom to operate and validity studies and has managed U.S. and international patent portfolios for a number of clients.
He prepares and prosecutes patent applications in a diverse range of fields, such as electrical devices, medical devices and equipment, industrial and consumer products, automotive and software technologies. His litigation experience includes handling patent infringement and validity claims on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants. Mark has also successfully appealed many cases to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Mark draws on more than 16 years of engineering and management experience working in various industries, including robotics, electrical design, injection molding, welding, and automotive assembly. He has worked for both small and large companies, including 14 years at Ford Motor Company in various engineering and management positions, which allow him to offer clients practical advice that incorporates both their intellectual property and business concerns.
Mark has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2020-2021) in the area of Patent Law. He was named the Best Lawyers 2021 Patent Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Cleveland.
Mark graduated first in his class from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in 2007 with his J.D. summa cum laude. During law school, Mark worked full time at Ford Motor Company and then at a Northeast Ohio intellectual property law firm. Mark also earned his M.B.A., summa cum laude, from Ashland University in 1995. He earned his B.S. in Electrical Engineering, with honors, from Case Western Reserve University in 1990.
He is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and Cleveland Intellectual Property Lawyers Association.
Mark joined Calfee in 2008 and named partner in 2016.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Patent Law (2020-2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Patent Law "Lawyer of the Year," Cleveland (2021)
J.D., summa cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 2007
M.B.A., summa cum laude, Ashland University, 1995
B.S.E.E. with honors, Case Western Reserve University, 1990
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Lawyers Association, Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
News & Events
- Seventy-five Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Three Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio