As an experienced first-chair litigator and appellate adviser, Josh represents clients in trials, arbitrations and appeals throughout the country, focusing chiefly on complex patent, software, trade secrets and contract disputes.
His clients’ victories include obtaining a $40 million-dollar verdict for patent infringement in the semiconductor industry, successfully defending a medical device maker in bet-the-company patent litigation and securing a multi-million-dollar attorneys’ fee award before the Federal Circuit following a successful trial.
Josh applies this same skill set outside the courtroom to help clients turn intellectual property into revenue as he helps clients identify solutions that transform contentious litigation or potentially contentious conflicts from a cost center issue to revenue generation through cooperative agreements, technology sharing arrangements and global licensing programs.
With more than $1 billion of technology-related deal experience, Josh has acted as the intellectual property adviser for numerous mergers, strategic investments, key licensing programs, capital raising efforts and joint venture projects for clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to startups. As the lead-up to these transactions, Josh also advises clients on technology issues, including data security and privacy, invention disclosures, intellectual property portfolio management, open source software, large-scale software implementations and software audits.
Josh also has helped private companies partner with public and non-profit institutions to bring cutting-edge technology to market. He has completed numerous technology transfers involving some of the largest research universities and hospitals in the world. These specialized transactions not only require intricate IP transaction knowledge, but they also demand the right balance of business experience to find a deal attractive to both inventing institutions and their private business partners.
Josh began his career as a clerk to Chief Judge Paul R. Matia of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio. As part of his duties he assisted the Court in a variety of intricate litigation matters, including the highly publicized retrial of John Demjanuk.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Trade Secrets Law (2021-2022) and Privacy and Data Security Law (2022)
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 1999
B.S., Biological Science, summa cum laude, The Ohio State University, 1996
News & Events
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Law Clerk to Chief Judge Paul R. Matia of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court