Joe has worked extensively with equity sponsors, angel investors and other financing sources in negotiating and documenting debt and equity placements for privately held entities. He has represented clients in a variety of industries having diverse financial requirements, enabling him to offer practical and creative advice on general business and corporate law issues.
Joe also is experienced in facilitating mergers and acquisitions, having represented numerous buyers, sellers and intermediaries in transactions involving diverse industries and deal structures.
He has advised entrepreneurs, private equity funds, equity sponsors and management groups in acquisitions and divestitures and is able to assist clients in value-added pre-transaction wealth transfer and charitable planning and in designing innovative acquisition structures to address multiple financing and tax considerations.
In the venture capital arena, Joe represents investment funds, family offices and individual investors in early-stage companies as well as corporate clients engaged in venture and growth capital raising.
Joe functions as outside general counsel to numerous privately held companies in both the service and manufacturing sectors, providing general corporate counseling across a wide range of issues, including employment, intellectual property, dispute resolution, regulatory compliance, governance, commercial and general contracts and investor relations matters.
Joe has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, and Venture Capital Law (2013-2023).
Involved throughout the community, Joe currently serves as the president of the board of trustees of Urban Squash Cleveland and as a director of University School, Blue Coats, Inc., and as a member of the Bruening Foundation Distribution Committee. He is a past president of the board of the Early Childhood Enrichment Center, Inc., Open Doors, Inc., and Urban Community School, as well as a former Senior Warden of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. Joe serves on the boards of directors or advisers for numerous Calfee clients.
Joe is a member of the Ohio, Massachusetts and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations.
Joe joined Calfee in 1989, was elected partner in 1992, became a member of the firm’s Executive Committee in 2009, and served as Chair of the Corporate and Finance practice group from 2012 through 2018.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, and Venture Capital Law (2013-2023)
J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1984
B.A., cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Williams College, 1979
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Urban Community School, Past President of the Board of Trustees
- Urban Squash Cleveland, President of the Board of Trustees
- University School, Director, Secretary and Member of Executive Committee
- Early Childhood Enrichment Center, Inc., Past Board President
- Open Doors, Inc., Past Board President
- St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Former Senior Warden
- Blue Coats, Inc., Board Member and Chair of Education Committee
- Bruening Foundation, Distribution Committee
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Thirty-Seven Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018