John has been significantly involved in general commercial litigation. His antitrust experience has included advising clients on myriad issues from acquisitions to vertical restraints. John also has counseled hospitals and other health care providers with respect to the competition issues associated with general operations, acquisitions and divestitures, including competitive effects, pre-merger coordination, due diligence and governmental review.
John routinely has been recognized as one of "America's Leading Lawyers" by Chambers USA, most recently in 2017 for Litigation: Antitrust. He has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America© since 2008 and was named the Best Lawyers® 2018 Litigation-Antitrust "Lawyer of the Year" in Cleveland. John also has been named to the Ohio Super Lawyers list.
John has argued cases before the Sixth and Seventh Circuit Courts of Appeal, as well as the Ohio Supreme Court. He is a member of the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Law and Litigation Sections, the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, and the Ohio State Bar Association’s (OSBA) Antitrust Section, where he served as the past chair of the board of governors.
He has lectured frequently at the OSBA’s Antitrust Institute and is co-chair of the annual ALI-ABA program in Washington, D.C., “Trying and Winning a Civil Antitrust Case.”
John has served as the Ohio State Senator for the 18th Senate District. He was appointed to fill an unexpired term in 2011 and was elected to a full four-year term in November 2012.
He has served on the boards of the Geauga County YMCA and the Chagrin River Land Conservancy, and as chairman of the Munson Township Zoning Commission. He has authored chapters in the OSBA’s Valentine Act Monograph and the ABA Monograph “Obtaining Discovery Abroad.”
John joined Calfee in 1980.
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, Litigation: Antitrust, 2018
The Best Lawyers in America©, Antitrust Law and Litigation - Antitrust, 2008-2020
The Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation - Antitrust "Lawyer of the Year," Cleveland, 2018
Ohio Super Lawyers, 2008-2017
J.D., cum laude, Washington and Lee University School of Law, Law Review Lead Articles Editor, 1980
B.A., cum laude, Union College, 1977
- Successfully defending a real estate firm against antitrust conspiracy and monopolization claims through a 12-week jury trial.
- Obtaining a dismissal of all claims for an industrial manufacturer in a national class action price fixing case and successfully defending a parallel federal grand jury investigation which resulted in no charges being brought.
- Obtaining judgment for a national consumer products company on monopolization and conspiracy claims in the Northern District of Illinois, and winning affirmance in the Seventh Circuit.
- Defending a tire manufacturer in a federal antitrust grand jury investigation of alleged nationwide price fixing which resulted in no charges being brought.
- Representing a worldwide maker of high-performance automation products in connection with the Justice Department’s investigation of competing takeover bids for the company.
- Winning, in the Ohio Supreme Court, a case establishing the ability of a municipality to adopt a building code more stringent than a State code.
- Winning a jury verdict in favor of a national securities brokerage firm on an executive’s claims of age and handicap discrimination.
- Winning dismissal of resale price fixing claims arising out of a home fixture company’s adoption of a minimum advertised price policy in the Eastern District of New York.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
American Bar Association’s Antitrust Law and Litigation Sections, member
Ohio State Bar Association’s Antitrust Section, past chair of the board of governors
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, member
Ohio State Senator for the 18th Senate District
Geauga County YMCA, board of directors
Chagrin River Land Conservancy, board of directors
Munson Township Zoning Commission, chairman
News & Events
- Fifty Three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 201908.15.2018
- Thirty-Seven Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 201811.13.2017
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court