She is experienced in drafting compensation and benefit arrangements, including employment and separation agreements; retention, severance and change-in-control (parachute) plans; profit sharing and 401(k) plans; defined benefit plans; medical and welfare benefit plans; HIPAA policies and procedures and business associate agreements.
She also provides ongoing counsel and assistance with the management, administration, and compliance of those plans with the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA. She advises private companies on executive compensation and employee benefits issues with a particular emphasis on issues arising in the context of mergers and acquisitions. She has significant experience identifying and correcting plan qualification issues, terminating plans and integrating employee benefit plans following corporate transactions.
Jen has been named to the 2018 Ohio Rising Stars List for Employee Benefits by Super Lawyers.
Jen served as an extern to the Honorable Judge Kathleen McDonald O’Malley, U.S. District Court, Northern District Court of Ohio in 2008.
She serves on the Board of Directors for the Cleveland Police Foundation. She is a member of the Executive Council of the Young Lawyers Section of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations. She also serves on the Preservation Projects Committee for the Cleveland Restoration Society and the Cleveland Host Committee for Bright Pink. She is an active member of her community block club and serves as its treasurer.
Jen was an associate at Jones Day from 2010 to 2013. She joined Calfee in 2013.
Honors & Recognitions
Ohio Super Lawyers "Rising Stars," Employee Benefits, 2018
J.D., summa cum laude, Cleveland State University Marshall College of Law, Managing Editor, Law Review, Board of Governors, Moot Court, 2010
B.S., Finance and B.A., Psychology, magna cum laude, The Ohio State University, 2007
- Advised multiple clients on wellness program compliance in light of the new EEOC wellness program regulations.
- Assisted client with preparation for a HIPAA compliance audit by the Office of Civil Rights.
- Conducted a company-wide HIPAA compliance review to assess areas of vulnerability and risk.
- Advised portfolio company on the successful acquisition of an add-on company, including the termination of add-on company’s benefit plans and the transition of add-on employees to portfolio company’s benefit plans.
- Assisted a privately owned client in reviewing so-called “excess parachute payments” under Section 280G for a large group of executives and obtaining the requisite shareholder approval to receive an exemption under Section 280G.
- Negotiated multiple client-favorable business associate agreements.
- Assisted client in analysis and risk assessment of potential HIPAA privacy breach as well as updating HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Obtained a favorable no-action letter from the DOL under the Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program for expenses improperly paid by a plan.
- Amended plan and prepared restatement to implement age-weighted profit sharing contributions.
- Prepared documents for termination of non-qualified deferred compensation plan.
- Obtained favorable compliance statement under the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System of the Internal Revenue Service for pension plan documents not amended or restated since 1996.
- Assisted client and prepared related documents in merger of stock bonus plan into 401(k) savings plan.
- Obtained favorable compliance statement under the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System of the Internal Revenue Service for loan default.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Cleveland Police Foundation, board of directors
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, executive council
Cleveland Restoration Society, Preservations Projects Committee member
Bright Pink, Cleveland Host Committee member
Community Block Club, treasurer
News & Events
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars12.06.2017
- Lack of a Written Business Associate Agreement with a Vendor and Careless Handling of HIV Information Result in Significant Settlements05.26.2017