Mia works with clients in drafting various benefit and compensation documents including benefit policies; health and welfare plans; employee communications; employment, separation and retention agreements; profit sharing and 401(k) plans; defined benefit plans; and business associate agreements. Mia provides counsel on the compliant operation and administration of benefit plans, including handling IRS and DOL interactions and communications and advising clients on the transition of employees and related benefits throughout corporate transactions.
Mia also assists clients in negotiations surrounding insurance contracts, benefits administrative service agreements, and investment adviser service agreements. In particular, Mia has extensive experience representing clients throughout the Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBM) and Medicare Part D Employer Group Waiver Plans (EGWPs) request for proposal and contract negotiation process.
Mia earned her J.D., magna cum laude, from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. Her publications include: Smoking Out a Compromise Through a Public Policy Approach to Resolving the Graphic Cigarette Warning Label Circuit Split, 62 Clev. St. L. Rev. 535 (2014); and “Chapter 12: Pathologist Employment Contracts” to Pathology Practice Management, Springer International (2016).
Mia earned her B.A. from The Ohio State University in 2009 and worked as a litigation paralegal for several years before attending law school. Prior to Mia joining Calfee in 2017, her experience included working as an Associate for a large Cleveland law firm, serving as a legal clerk in the legal department of a Fortune 500 company, and serving as a judicial extern in the Northern District of Ohio.
Honors & Recognitions
- Sidney A. Levine Award for Best Paper in a Legal Writing Course
- CALI awards in Legal Writing and Non-Profit Corporations
J.D., magna cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 2014
B.A., cum laude, The Ohio State University, 2009
Negotiated various plan and benefit service provider service agreements on behalf of clients, including investment adviser, third-party administrator, COBRA administrator, and PBM (including Medicare Part D EGWP arrangements) agreements.
- Drafted various compensation and benefit arrangements and amendments to same including employment agreements, retention plans, health and welfare benefit plans, retirement plans, prototype plans (adoption agreements), volume submitter and individually designed plans.
- Advised multiple clients on benefit plan compliance (both retirement and welfare plans) in light of new disability claims procedures regulations.
Advised multiple clients on continuing benefits administration compliance under ACA, ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, etc.
Assisted clients in responding to plan claims appeals and other plan challenges to evaluate and minimize litigation risks.
- Implemented new wrap plan welfare benefit program for multiple clients, allowing for more streamlined welfare program administration under one plan.
Executed various benefit plan filings with the IRS and DOL resulting in favorable determination and no-action letters and favorable compliance statements, including plan qualification, plan termination, volume submitter, voluntary fiduciary correction program filings and voluntary correction program filings.
- Assisted self-insured medical plan in review and negotiations of claims administration contracts.
- Prepared submission to IRS proposed rule requests for comments advocating for client’s interests.
- Assisted company and prepared related documents in termination of large-scale welfare benefit program and merger of plan participants into company’s second welfare benefit program.
- Prepared plan participant notices including summary plan descriptions, summaries of material modification, notices to interested parties, and safe harbor notices and advised clients regarding proper distribution of notices.
Advised corporate clients in merger and acquisition transactions, including review of benefits programs for potential liabilities and transition of benefits, executive agreements for continuity of benefits and retention of key employees, 280G guidance, and stock rollover arrangements.
Advise clients on executive and director compensation practices consistent with industry expectations and norms.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Achievement Centers for Children, Associate Board Member
News & Events
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Energy and Utilities
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Food and Beverage
- Health Care
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Private Equity
- Public Companies
- Retail and Consumer Products