Prior to Mia joining Calfee in 2017, her experience included working as an Associate for a large Cleveland law firm, serving as a legal clerk in the legal department of a Fortune 500 company, and serving as a judicial extern in the Northern District of Ohio.
Mia earned her J.D., magna cum laude, from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. While in law school, Mia served as a Research Editor for the Cleveland State Law Review. Her publications include: Smoking Out a Compromise Through a Public Policy Approach to Resolving the Graphic Cigarette Warning Label Circuit Split, 62 Clev. St. L. Rev. 535 (2014); and “Chapter 12: Pathologist Employment Contracts” to Pathology Practice Management, Springer International (2016).
Mia earned her B.A. from the Ohio State University in 2009 and worked as a litigation paralegal for several years before law school.
Honors & Recognitions
Sidney A. Levine Award for Best Paper in a Legal Writing Course
CALI awards in Legal Writing and Non-Profit Corporations
J.D., magna cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 2014
B.A., cum laude, The Ohio State University, 2009
- Drafted various compensation and benefit arrangements and amendments to same including employment agreements, retention plans, health and welfare benefit plans, retirement plans, prototype plans (adoption agreements), volume submitter, and individually designed plans
- Advised multiple clients on benefit plan compliance (both retirement and welfare plans) in light of new disability claims procedures regulations
- Advised multiple clients on continuing benefits administration compliance under the Affordable Care Act
- Implemented new wrap plan welfare benefit program for multiple clients, allowing for more streamlined welfare program administration under one plan
- Executed various benefit plan filings with the IRS resulting in favorable determination letters and favorable compliance statements including plan qualification, plan termination, volume submitter, and voluntary correction program filings
- Assisted self-insured medical plan in review and negotiations of claims administration contracts
- Prepared submission to IRS proposed rule requests for comments advocating for client’s interests
- Assisted company and prepared related documents in termination of large-scale welfare benefit program and merger of plan participants into company’s second welfare benefit program
- Prepared plan participant notices including summary plan descriptions, summaries of material modification, notices to interested parties, and safe harbor notices and advised clients regarding proper distribution of notices
- Advised corporate clients in merger and acquisition transactions, including review of benefits programs for potential liabilities, executive agreements for continuity of benefits, 280G guidance, and stock rollover arrangements
- Analyzed peer group company proxy statements to review client executive and director compensation practices
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Achievement Centers for Children, Associate Board Member