Alex takes a wholistic and creative approach to disputes and dispute resolution, balancing zealous advocacy and pragmatic business strategy depending on the needs and goals of his clients. He has represented clients at every level of the state and federal judiciary, including the Ohio and United States Supreme Courts. Outside the courtroom, Alex has negotiated resolutions to complex disputes without the need for formal litigation.
As a member of Calfee’s Policyholder Insurance Coverage practice group, Alex litigates and negotiates on behalf of policyholders to recover insurance assets, including defense costs and indemnity payments in connection with third-party claims and coverage for first-party claims. Alex also counsels insurance policyholders on issues involving a wide variety of insurance policies, including:
- Commercial general liability (CGL)
- Directors & officers (D&O)
- Business interruption (including business income and extra expense)
- Employment practices (EPL)
Since 2018, Alex has served on the adjunct faculty at the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, where he teaches appellate advocacy as Co-Director of the school’s nationally recognized Moot Court Team.
He joined Calfee in 2010, was elected Partner in 2018 and serves on the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Honors & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation, Labor & Employment Star – Midwest (2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation - Labor and Employment (2021-2022) and Litigation - Insurance (2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2013-2022)
J.D., summa cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, chairperson, Moot Court Board of Governors, 2009
B.A. with honors, Washington University in St. Louis, 2006
Insurance Policyholder Recovery and Counseling Experience
- 2020-2021 – Assisting client to recover 95% of losses incurred in connection with international programming cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- 2020-2021 – Assisting aviation company in securing EPL coverage in connection with claims asserted by former officer.
- 2020-2021 – Advocating for universities in efforts to secure insurance coverage for loss of business income and extra expense incurred due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- 2020-2021 – Assisting manufacturer of roofing products secure insurance coverage (both defense costs and indemnify payments) for third-party product liability claims following initial denial of coverage by insurers.
- 2020 – Represented manufacturer of industrial surfacing in securing full coverage for a third-party product liability claim following denial of coverage by insurer.
- 2020 – Represented director of publicly-traded company in securing full D&O coverage in connection with SEC proceeding.
- 2019-2020 – Represented chemical manufacturer to secure insurance coverage (both defense costs and indemnity payments) from domestic and international insurers for multiple third-party product liability claims.
- 2018-2021 – Representing solvents manufacturer recover over $4 million in captive insurer assets in connection with claims triggering multiple policies.
- 2018-2021 – Advocating for producer of technology-based performance materials to recover millions of dollars of defense costs incurred in connection with environmental claims following initial denial of coverage by insurers.
- 2016-2021 – Serving as national coverage counsel for multinational manufacturer of specialty coatings, sealants, and building materials in connection with third-party claims.
Business, Commercial, and Appellate Litigation Experience
- 2019-2021 – Representing publicly-traded bank in connection with business tort claims asserted by former software supplier.
- 2017-2020 – Represented U.S. and foreign subsidiaries of multi-national corporation in federal MDL class action alleging international price-fixing cartel.
- 2017 – Obtained jury returned a verdict in favor of Calfee’s law firm client following a trial in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio. The plaintiff, a well-known local law firm, sought over $1 million on its breach of contract claim. The unanimous defense verdict resulted in a $0 recovery by the losing plaintiff.
- 2017 - Obtained dismissal of all claims against a publicly traded Ohio bank, including fiduciary duty, negligence, and equitable claims. The negotiated outcome resulted in a 96% discount from the plaintiffs’ alleged damages.
- 2015 – Presented oral argument to Ohio’s Eighth District Court of Appeals and obtained a unanimous decision affirming the trial court’s judgment in favor of Calfee’s casino client.
- 2014 – Obtained judgment in favor of Calfee’s casino client on claims seeking monetary damages as well as declaratory and injunctive relief based on alleged violations of zoning and land use laws.
- 2013 – Obtained judgment from the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio dismissing all claims against Calfee’s client, a privately held bank, including claims alleging violations of federal banking laws, breach of fiduciary duties, and negligence.
- 2013 - Obtained unanimous appellate decision affirming summary judgment in favor of Calfee’s casino client in a highly publicized shareholder dispute. Following an appeal by the losing appellant, the Supreme Court of Ohio declined to accept jurisdiction, resulting in final judgment in favor or Calfee’s client.
- 2013 – Presented oral argument to Ohio's Eighth District Court of Appeals and obtained a unanimous decision affirming the trial court's verdict in favor of Calfee's clients on premises liability claims. The losing appellant appealed to the Supreme Court of Ohio. Following jurisdictional briefing, the Supreme Court of Ohio declined to hear the case, resulting in final judgment in favor of Calfee's clients.
- 2012 – Obtained a unanimous jury verdict in favor of homeowners with respect to premises liability claims.
- 2011 – Obtained summary judgment in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania dismissing all nine claims asserted against Calfee's client, a world-wide snack food manufacturer and distributor. The dismissed claims included federal trademark and false advertising claims and claims for fraud, tortious interference, and unfair competition. Following an appeal by the losing plaintiff to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, the case settled at a 97% discount from the plaintiff's alleged damages.
- 2010 – Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a publicly traded Ohio bank following a bench trial on the plaintiff's mortgage lending claims.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Adjunct Professor of Appellate Advocacy
- "Beware the Trip Wires: How to Protect and Maximize Insurance Coverage Assets," Advanced Issues in Insurance Coverage, Ohio State Bar Association, September 2020 (K. James Sullivan, Alexander B. Reich)
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Ohio Super Lawyers,
- Calfee Insurance Recovery Partners Matt Chiricosta and Alex Reich Co-Author, "A Trap for the Unwary: Navigating Tricky Claim Notice Issues Under Claims-Made Insurance Policies"Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, October 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Twenty-Four Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Super Lawyers,
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- James Sullivan and Alex Reich Co-Author Article for Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Bar Journal
- Akron Bar Association,
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit