With 35 dedicated attorneys, Calfee’s Corporate and Capital Markets practice is one of the largest and most prolific in Ohio, handling a significant number of complex and sophisticated transactions for clients around the country and globally.
Calfee boasts a robust Merger and Acquisitions, Divestitures and Sales practice led by an active private equity client base and a large roster of public and significant privately held corporate clients. These financial and strategic buyers, coupled with our deep investment banking representations and relationships, drive a thriving and diverse M&A practice at Calfee.
Calfee also has a full range of corporate governance, SEC reporting and compliance, and capital markets services and a wealth of experience representing public companies, including NYSE and NASDAQ-listed issuers. Calfee has represented issuers and underwriters in more than 230 public and Rule 144A offerings since 1981. In addition, Calfee has a strong history, unique in our region, of representing financial services providers such as banks, broker-dealers and investment advisors.
In turn, our Corporate and Capital Markets practice drives related practice areas, including Capital Markets/Securities Transactions, Commercial Business and Finance, Real Estate, Wealth Management and Corporate Succession Planning, to name a few.
Chambers USA Band 2 Ranking (Ohio)
For more than a decade, Calfee's Corporate and Capital Markets group has been ranked by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, an industry-leading legal resource for professionals in search of qualified, experienced legal counsel. In 2018, Chambers USA researchers reported that clients praised Calfee's Corporate and Capital Markets group for “its high level of knowledge and sophistication...They provide big-league legal service at medium market rates. It's good value for our money, and more importantly, they are trusted advisors.”
Chambers researchers further stated that Calfee's Corporate and Capital Markets group is “an impressive team with a strong track record across a broad range of corporate and transactional matters, acting on behalf of public and private businesses and financial institutions. Areas of excellence include M&A, securities offerings and private equity and venture capital fund formation. [They] also offer notable capital markets expertise, with particular strengths in acting for underwriters."
U.S.News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firm" Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion in the 2019 "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S.News –Best Lawyers in America in the following areas:
- Corporate Law (National Tier 1 and Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland and Columbus)
- Venture Capital Law (National Tier 2 and Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Mergers & Acquisitions Law (National Tier 3 and Metropolitan Tier 2 Cleveland and Columbus)
- Securities/Capital Markets Law (National Tier 3 and Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Securities Regulation (National Tier 3 and Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Corporate Compliance Law (Metropolitan Tier 2 Cleveland)
- Corporate Governance Law (Metropolitan Tier 2 Cleveland)
- Tax Law (Metropolitan Tier 2 Cleveland)
IFLR1000 Elite DealMakers Rankings
Calfee was ranked in the IFLR1000 United States Guide to USA's Leading Financial & Corporate Law Firms "Elite Dealmakers" 2018 in the areas of Capital Markets (Recommended) and Corporate and M&A (Tier 2).
Clients responding to the IFLR1000 survey reported the following regarding Calfee's M&A and Capital Markets team:
- "Calfee solves problems. They have a deep bench with complete understanding of clients' needs. They are focused, hardworking and get the job done. They are competitively priced."
- "Calfee, Halter & Griswold consistently goes above and beyond on providing sound counsel to our company. They are extremely responsive and even work on the weekends when an acquisition is ready to close. They anticipate our needs and will suggest alternative methods for solving legal issues. We are lucky to have them represent us."
- "Calfee is a sophisticated law firm with good depth across many practice areas. The lawyers have a strong sense of client service and are responsive to our needs."
- "Second to none. We have used every major law firm in the market and no one has the depth of expertise and high level of service."
- "They are excellent. I would recommend them. We have not used them significantly before this past year, and the work we used them for was M&A and IP assistance. They have been an impressive law firm to work with."
- "Calfee is an excellent law firm. Their lawyers are extremely knowledgeable and pleasant to work with."
Our Corporate and Capital Markets attorneys work collaboratively with their colleagues across Calfee’s 30+ practice areas to ensure that transactions and other client matters are handled efficiently and by the attorney with the necessary experience and skills. We regularly interact with attorneys in the following practice areas on client matters:
Equipped with experience-based legal knowledge and readily accessible resources across all practice areas, Calfee's Corporate and Capital Markets attorneys regularly advise public companies, privately held businesses, private equity firms, venture capital and other investor groups, and entrepreneurs from a cross-section of industries through every stage of the business life cycle.
Whether your business is a new venture navigating the early stages of formation, organization and capital raising, or an established enterprise undertaking complex contract negotiations, corporate succession planning, or a significant merger, acquisition, or divestiture, we will guide you through the inevitable and unexpected legal hurdles to achieve your objectives.
Combining technical and legal expertise with business insights and sound judgment cultivated over years of corporate counseling, Calfee attorneys provide superior, customized service in a timely and cost-effective manner in the following areas of concentration:
- Business organization and structure
- Corporate governance and compliance
- Contractual arrangements
- Capital raising via public and private offerings
- Mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Commercial finance and banking
- Employment-related matters
- Executive compensation
- Risk management
- Succession planning
Doing Business in Ohio
Doing Business in Ohio
With offices spanning the state of Ohio and deep connections in the state’s capital, Calfee’s Corporate and Capital Markets attorneys regularly assist clients who are starting, relocating, or expanding business operations in the state. Calfee attorneys are experienced helping clients understand and participate in Ohio’s state loan and grant programs, state tax credits, and other state programs such as JobsOhio.
Calfee attorneys have developed a Guide to Doing Business in Ohio, which details important information for business owners and executives operating or considering moving or starting a business enterprise in the state.