Calfee’s Capital Markets/Securities Transactions practice offers a wealth of experience representing public companies, including NYSE and NASDAQ-listed issuers, as well as a strong history, unique in our region, of representing financial services providers such as banks, broker-dealers and investment advisers with respect to capital markets and securities and regulatory compliance matters.
This experience is evidenced by our firm’s representation of issuers and underwriters in connection with more than 230 public and Rule 144A debt and equity offerings since 1981, with aggregate proceeds from such offerings in excess of $45 billion. Our securities expertise, coupled with long-standing investment banking relationships, drive a sophisticated capital markets practice at Calfee.
Over the past decade, we have served as counsel to issuers or underwriters approximately 50 registered public offerings. Our issuer clients have ranged in size from community banks with market caps of less than $200 million to S&P 500 manufacturing companies with market caps of more than $10 billion. Our underwriters’ representations have included investment banks such as Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs Co., JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, UBS Investment Bank and Sandler O’Neill & Partners, L.P.
Chambers USA Band 2 Ranking in Corporate/M&A (Ohio)
For more than a decade, Calfee's Corporate and Capital Markets group has been ranked by Chambers USA. Most recently, in Chambers USA 2020, Calfee was ranked in Band 2 for Corporate/M&A in Ohio. Chambers USA 2020 commentators note that, "The practical nature of the firm is what makes them special. They are experienced and knowledgeable enough to interact with larger firms, but they are more effective because they are responsive and focus on the most important issues."
Chambers USA 2020 further stated that Calfee "draws from an impressive statewide team with a strong track record across a broad range of corporate and transactional matters, acting on behalf of public and private businesses and financial institutions. Areas of excellence include M&A, securities offerings and private equity and venture capital fund formation. [They also offer] notable capital markets expertise, with particular strengths in acting for underwriters."
Chambers USA 2020 researchers report that a client stated, "They're practical and responsive, coupled with great experience and deep expertise." Another source noted, "Our overall experience has been outstanding. We have found that Calfee is capable of handling highly sophisticated work at reasonable rates."
Calfee Firm Chairman Douglas A. Neary was ranked in Chambers USA 2020, Band 2 in Corporate/M&A. Chambers commentators noted, "Douglas Neary combines his position as the firm's chairman with an active corporate practice, where he advises a range of private and publicly held businesses on M&A, financing matters and wider advisory issues. One client says, 'He is very insightful, smart and personable and has become a trusted adviser to me.'"
Firm Administrative Partner, Arthur C. Hall III was ranked in Chambers USA 2020, Band 3. "The 'superb' Arthur Hall wins praise for his 'expert but practical advice," with clients also citing his 'extensive knowledge in federal securities law' as a key strength. He is particularly well versed in advising public companies and investors on financing issues and corporate governance matters."
Calfee's Senior Chairman, Thomas F. McKee, was ranked as a Senior Statesperson in Chambers USA 2020. "Thomas McKee is considered a trusted adviser to corporate clients on transactional and governance-related issues, most notably on capital markets work."
Partner John J. Jenkins was ranked in Chambers USA 2020 Band 2. "The 'very well-regarded' John Jenkins has attained a 'great reputation' for his corporate law practice according to commentators, with clients describing him as a 'very responsive, pragmatic and technical expert.' He focuses on advising on capital markets matters and M&A, acting for a broad range of businesses, issuers and underwriters."
Terrence F. Doyle, Partner, was ranked in Band 4 in Chambers USA 2020. "Terry Doyle is held in particularly high regard for his abilities in advising private equity investors on transactional matters, alongside broader corporate work for portfolio companies. Sources commend his 'excellent corporate practice' and report that 'he is skillful and has a broad range of knowledge.'"
Jennifer L. Vergilii, Partner and Corporate and Capital Markets Co-Chair, was ranked in Band 4 in Chambers USA 2020. "Clients cite her 'practical and responsive' demeanor as a key asset in corporate work and regularly call upon her to handle a broad array of M&A and capital markets transactions. One source adds: 'She got us out of a good number of tight spots and get the deal over the line. She was very hardworking and available at any time of the day.'"
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion in the 2021 "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in the following areas:
- Corporate Compliance Law (Metropolitan Tier 2 Cleveland)
- Corporate Governance Law (Metropolitan Tier 2 Cleveland)
- Corporate Law (National Tier 2, Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland, Metropolitan Tier 1 Columbus, Metropolitan Tier 2 Cincinnati)
- Securities/Capital Markets Law (National Tier 3, Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Securities Regulation (National Tier 2, Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland)
IFLR1000 (United States), Guide to the World's Leading Financial and Corporate Law Firms and Lawyers
Calfee was selected for inclusion in IFLR1000 – Guide to the World's Leading Financial and Corporate Law Firms from 2019-2020 in the areas of Capital Markets (Recommended – Ohio) and M&A (Tier 2 – Ohio).
Clients responding to the IFLR1000 2019 survey reported the following regarding Calfee's M&A and Capital Markets team:
- "Calfee solves problems. They have a deep bench with complete understanding of clients' needs. They are focused, hardworking and get the job done. They are competitively priced."
- "Calfee, Halter & Griswold consistently goes above and beyond on providing sound counsel to our company. They are extremely responsive and even work on the weekends when an acquisition is ready to close. They anticipate our needs and will suggest alternative methods for solving legal issues. We are lucky to have them represent us."
- "Calfee is a sophisticated law firm with good depth across many practice areas. The lawyers have a strong sense of client service and are responsive to our needs."
- "Second to none. We have used every major law firm in the market and no one has the depth of expertise and high level of service."
- "They are excellent. I would recommend them. We have not used them significantly before this past year, and the work we used them for was M&A and IP assistance. They have been an impressive law firm to work with."
- "Calfee is an excellent law firm. Their lawyers are extremely knowledgeable and pleasant to work with."