Calfee’s Private Equity team takes a committed, strategic approach to each of its clients and is dedicated to supporting their business goals.
Our attorneys represent sponsors, investors and portfolio companies at each stage of the private equity process. We have focused on transactional work for clients within this arena for more than 100 years, and over the past decade we have helped clients invest and realize billions of dollars.
With more than 30 private equity professionals – comprised of corporate, securities, tax and employee benefits attorneys – we are dedicated to getting the deal done while remaining responsive, creative and efficient in negotiating and closing transactions for our clients.
The implementation of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank) has been followed closely by our Private Equity group. The challenges presented by Dodd-Frank affect a range of private equity activity both from the fund formation and investor perspectives, and we are focused on counseling our clients in the new regulatory environment.
Calfee lawyers have represented sponsors and investors in a wide variety of closed-end and open-end funds, ranging in size from less than $10 million to more than $425 million in committed capital, including buyout, venture capital, mezzanine, special-purpose, and hedge funds, as well as funds-of-funds. We also counsel clients in fund restructurings, including spin-offs of pooled investment vehicles to independent ownership.
Representing sponsors and investors provides us with an in-depth understanding of private equity from a variety of perspectives. In addition, because we frequently continue to represent funds after they have been formed, we are sensitive to the problems that can arise over the life of funds.
Using a team approach, our corporate lawyers work closely with our tax, ERISA and securities lawyers, among others, to structure funds in the most efficient manner from a tax and operational point of view.
Structuring the Deal
Calfee also has extensive experience in structuring the sponsor’s internal management “deal.” This experience allows us to tailor the fund’s internal management to the sponsor’s objectives and to deal in advance with estate planning, control, distribution, separation, co-investing and other issues that may arise over the life of a fund management company.
In addition, we have devoted substantial resources to creating complex, “carried interest” sharing arrangements among the principals and investment professionals of a fund.
Representing Lead Investors
Calfee also represents lead investors in private equity funds, including corporate pension plans, institutional investors and state retirement systems. As a result of these representations, we are poised to address the economic and regulatory issues of a wide range of investors.
Our fund formation work, coupled with our investor representations, allow us to review and analyze a significant number of funds from every perspective, allowing us to provide well-rounded, multi-dimensional advice to our clients.
Making and Exiting Portfolio Investments
Calfee has been involved in the leveraged buyout industry for the better part of a century and has been at the forefront of its dramatic expansion. We have formed leveraged buyout funds and closed hundreds of leveraged acquisitions and divestitures. In the process, we have developed tax and corporate transaction structures and techniques and have obtained an extensive understanding of the market terms and conditions.
Calfee takes a business-oriented approach to leveraged buyouts. Our lawyers must understand the business being acquired and must focus on the client’s economic and operational objectives. Our involvement typically begins at the early stage, advising on critical legal issues and assisting in structuring the proposal in the most efficient manner from a business, tax and risk-allocation perspective (often in a very competitive auction environment). We also focus on our private equity clients’ needs to provide competitive and cost-effective management equity and incentive programs to their portfolio companies, consistent with their accounting objectives.
Our clients also turn to us for our strength in structuring and negotiating the various layers of senior and subordinated debt and equity financing in connection with a leveraged buyout. Typically, when we represent the deal sponsor, we also represent the target or portfolio company in structuring and negotiating the required financing. In transactions where we do not represent the deal sponsor, we frequently represent senior lenders, mezzanine lenders or providers of equity capital and are familiar with the structures and deal terms used to protect their interests.
Venture capital is another vital area in which Calfee is seasoned and able to add value for clients. We provide a full range of legal services to the VC community and understand the process for negotiating and structuring venture investments. We believe that a close understanding of the economics and business realities of each deal is critical to efficient deal management and effective representation. The balance between obtaining appropriate terms and cultivating quality, long-term relationships with a fund’s portfolio companies is key.
Our intellectual property practice of more than 35 attorneys along with our information technology and health and long-term care practices provide insight into the industries in which venture capital funds typically invest. We understand the potential benefits and risks associated with investing in these areas.
After assisting a venture capital client with its investments, we continue to add value by supporting and advising the fund in its ongoing relationships with its portfolio companies – facilitating the development of exit strategies, negotiating and structuring follow-on investments, and advising on board representation matters.
Calfee's Private Equity team has formed funds for a variety of clients, including the following:
- Align Capital Partners
- Austin Capital Partners
- BluePoint Capital Partners
- Bridge Industries
- Canal Capital Partners
- CapitalWorks, LLC
- Cornerstone Capital
- Early Stage Partners
- Evolution Capital Partners
- Excurro Capital
- Gates Group Capital Partners
- Kirtland Capital Partners
- Linsalata Capital Partners
- Mavenhill Capital
- MCM Capital Partners
- Watervale Equity Partners
- Western Reserve Partners LLC
News & Events
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold Assists Private Equity Firm CapitalWorks in its Majority Investment in Electromechanical Research Laboratories, Inc.12.07.2020
- Securities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 11.10.2020
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.05.2020
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.28.2020
- The Securities Compliance Podcast Episode 2: "What's New at OCIE?" With Guest, Natasha Greiner, Associate Director of the SEC's IA/IC Examination OfficeSecurities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 10.19.2020
- The Securities Compliance Podcast Episode 3: "The New DOL Fiduciary Rule" With ERISA Expert David Kaleda, Principal at Groom Law GroupSecurities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 10.19.2020
- The Securities Compliance Podcast Episode 4: "How FinTech and RegTech Impact Compliance" With Guest, Chuck Senatore, Founder of the Boston RegTech Meetup and Board Member and Adviser to FinTech, RegTech and Cryptocurrency CompaniesSecurities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 10.19.2020
- Securities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 10.19.2020
- Patrick Hayes Co-authors "The Revenant of Fair Value Cometh for Fixed Income Markets" Article for NSCP CurrentsNational Society of Compliance Professionals Currents, 10.12.2020
- Seventy-five Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Three Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Calfee's Corporate and Capital Markets Partner Terry Doyle Quoted in Crain's Article, “Private Equity Braces for Economic Impact of Coronavirus”Crain's Cleveland Business, 04.02.2020
- Calfee Workers' Compensation attorneys' articles published in the 2020 edition of National Workers' Compensation Defense Network (NWCDN) bookWorkers' Compensation Emerging Issues Analysis, 03.10.2020
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Earns Rankings in The International Financial Law Review 1000 Guide in Five Practice Areas and Four Calfee Attorneys Recognized As "Highly Regarded Attorneys"The International Financial Law Review, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2018
- Appellate Proceedings Litigation
- Business and Fund Formation
- Business Restructuring and Insolvency
- Commercial and Public Finance
- Commercial Finance
- Compliance / Regulatory Services
- Corporate and Capital Markets
- Emerging Companies and Venture Capital
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Litigation and Enforcement
- Estate and Succession Planning and Administration
- Family Offices
- Federal Government Relations and Policy
- Government Relations and Legislation
- Health Care Litigation
- Health Care Regulation
- Information Technology Law
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Recovery
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Investment Management
- IP and Technology Transactions
- Labor and Employment
- Mergers and Acquisitions, Divestitures and Sales
- Patent Prosecution
- Privacy and Data Security
- Real Estate Law
- State Government Relations and Policy
- Tax Law
- Tax Litigation
- Tort, Accident and Product Liability Litigation
- Trademark Law
- Wealth Management
- White-Collar Defense and Investigations